Thursday, July 22, 2004

Weekend

A friend told me that he read in Al-Anbaa' the other day, something about plans to unify the weekend for everyone in Kuwait. Whereas now the government and schools shut down on Thursday and Friday, and the oil and banking sectors close on Friday and Saturday, the proposed plan seeks to mandate Friday and Saturday for everyone.

When I worked in banking, I hated the Saturdays off because Wednesday nights were always fun and we'd have to wake up for work on Thursday. And then on Saturday I would be bored out of my skull because most people I wanted to see were working. Friday nights weren't much better either, and the last thing I wanted to do was hang out with my work colleagues.

Now I have Thursdays off and I love it, but there's just one drawback. If I want to go to Beirut for the weekend, I would have to take Saturday and Sunday off as well to enjoy the weekend there, so that's 2 days out of my vacation time.

If the weekend is unified across all sectors, it would be more pleasant and there wouldn't be any "weekend envy"! ;-)

Meanwhile.... it's 49 degrees celsius outside!!!

5 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD! The heat must killing you. I hope you have air conditioning. Also drink plenty of water. Perhaps you should take up the offer to live in the states more seriously, Kuwait is bad for your health!

    Regarding weekends, they should have it Sat and Sun like the rest of the world. That would make visiting businesses and tourists and you guys who live there more in line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friday is our holy day of rest; our Sabbath in other words. So either option will have to include Friday.

    And yes we have air conditioning!! Do you think I'm blogging from some tent in the desert?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY! Since you found out that I'm girl and from an evil "western" nation, you've lashed out. I was showing my concern. If you hadn't mentioned tents, I wouldn't have thought that you owned one. I thought you were open minded, but I can see I was wrong. You didn't even consider any of my comments and that hurts me. I won't visit your site for awhile until some future date when preconceived notions of the satans and Jooooooz no longer exist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about you come back when you get over YOUR preconcieved notions of Arabs as backward savages (may I remind you of your comment dated June 22 "As to our master of the board, zeydoun, I was unaware of any Kuwaitis' availability of the internet or that they were evolved.") EVOLVED?! I chose to let that one slide because others had stepped in more eloquently, and because you sort of explained yourself later albeit in a half-assed way.

    Do you think I honestly care where you're from? I always knew you were Canadian and the most that got out of me was a big yawn, not the "outrage" you'd like to imagine.. Canada evil? PLEASE!!

    As for your being female, most of the other comments on my blog are from women and I don't see them complaining. Do you detect a mysogynistic streak anywhere in my blog?

    Finally, they're called Jews and not Jooooooz. Shame on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farmers!!! shno Farmers!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!