Sunday, October 10, 2004

American Idiot - CENSORED!

I haven't been paying attention to FM 99.7 lately, mainly because I've been listening to American Idiot nonstop on the trusty old iPod, and also because the best hours to tune in (yes, they do exist) are usually when I'm at work.

But I had an outside meeting this morning, and on my way there I switched on the radio and was thrilled to hear the crashing opening guitar licks of my current favorite song. I cranked it up only to be shocked that the word "American" had been edited (i.e. censored) out of every verse!!

WHAT THE FUCK?! Are we Kuwaitis supposed to be more offended by this song than actual Americans? It has been playing on American radio stations for months and the video is a big hit on MTV, so what's with this extra sensitivity? Does some misguided fool at the Ministry of Dis-Information think that the US will pull its troops out of Kuwait if they hear us play this song on our radio stations?

And if it's so damn offensive to our delicate ears... WHY PLAY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE??!

11 comments:

  1. Zaydoun i think Bo Muhannad knows better

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet he does... maskeen

    Just don't play the song, that's all. Don't butcher it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you do have a choice!! Just don't play it at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. I'd rather they not play it at all, then butcher it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe they have a daytime chopped up version, and another uncensored night version.

    What? You think I'm kidding? Stranger things have happened at that station!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss the old American forces network that used to broadcast on FM 104.3. Especially the morning show with Jonathan and Mary, their show was hilarious and the topics they discuss were so funny.. for some reason it stopped broadcasting and unfortunately they don?t broadcast through the internet.
    http://www.todaysbesthits.com/morningshow.asp

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jonathan and Mary were so funny, and you could tell it was totally unscripted. They would just pick some pre-assigned topic and run with it.

    And at least they weren't forced to get all excited over Al-Babtain's new Nissan 2005 models. I truly feel sorry for that woman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who is watching you like a hawk? Please elaborate and then explain their reasoning for deleting the word "American" from the song. Is there an internal memo or email with specific instructions that you can quote for us?

    Ever other song is sex, booty, makin' luuuv..etc. and yet this one gets censored.

    I repeat: DON'T PLAY IT AT ALL! REMOVE IT FROM YOUR PLAYLIST!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Green Day fans thank you with all their hearts. It's infinitely better not to hear a song at all, than to hear it edited by censors.

    Meanwhile, I can't believe my whining actually paid off!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You still haven't told me the official reasoning for deleting the word "American"

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!