Saturday, March 29, 2003

I woke up this morning to find a few emails and text messages from friends in the US asking about a missile attack on a popular shopping mall. I had no idea about anything because I don't live near that mall and the sirens didn't go off. I heard later it's because the missile flew in too low. Hmm..

The missile struck the popular Souk Sharq mall, which is right on the bay at 1.45 a.m. Fortunately at that hour there weren't too many people there. The shops were, of course, closed and the few people that were there were probably catching a late show at one of the cinemas. 2 people were injured, a Kuwaiti and an Egyptian...Again, I didn't hear anything because I was asleep like a log. I wonder if the missile was intended for the Foreign Ministry which is right next door... or perhaps a symbolic attack on a nation of shoppers? ;-)



Seriously though, this puts into question what exactly is going on in southern Iraq. Why do they still have missile launching capability? And maybe this will finally put some fear into our careless population - myself included - and keep us away from strategically located shopping centers. I heard Souk Sharq was buzzing yesterday afternoon, because the weather was so nice and people were enjoying themselves at the several outdoor cafes. Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, people!