Saturday, April 19, 2003

This is getting to be a real embarrassment, but I'm sure the White House will find some way to spin it to its favor. "The head of a U.S. presidential panel on cultural property has resigned in protest at the failure of U.S. forces to prevent the wholesale looting of priceless treasures from Baghdad's antiquities museum". I'm glad someone had the guts to do that since the rest of the administration just can't be bothered.

I remember very clearly in the days just before the war started, I heard some archaeolgists talking on VOA about how they had received assurances from the Pentagon that Iraq's cultural heritage would be protected. No bombs fell on any sites, which is great, but surely a few guards could've been spared to protect the museums from looting and destruction.

I can understand looting, since the thieves obviously hope to make a killing selling the artifacts on some black market, but I still cannot fathom the destruction and burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, people!