Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The Rally for Freedom

Well it was more of a collection of speeches and a call to arms at the Graduate Society. It got off to a creaky start with the barely audible society's president, followed by a rousing and funny speech by Khaled Al-Mutairi, president of the National Democratic Alliance - of which I'm a proud charter member - followed by several speakers, some emotional and powerful, others less so.

The issue at stake is the relentless assault on our personal liberties by the fundamentalist Islamist nutjobs in collusion with our cowardly government that's been appeasing them for decades. And yet, I couldn't help wishing it was held in some other venue. One the main problems plaguing Kuwait's progressive liberals - and one they're not willing to confront - is that the great masses of the general public still view them as an elitist crowd that does not speak for them. This huge untapped silent majority may not like what the Islamists are doing to this country but they also don't feel that the Kuwaiti liberals speak for them either.

Today's rally was, in effect, "preaching to the converted" and was very cathartic for all of us. But what happens next? The Islamists are so organized, and they use fear tactics to gain followers (support us or burn in hell!), I fear people like me just don't stand a chance. But I refuse to give up. This is a fight worth fighting and I plan to make life hell for as many of them as I possibly can.

By the way, I didn't see MadM2000 there, mainly because I still don't know what he looks like

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, people!