Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Censored Olympics

Under the pathetically mistaken impression that Kuwaitis will be following the upcoming Olympic games on KTV, rather than the multitudes of sports channels available via satellite, Islamist MP Waleed Al-Tabtabai has called on KTV and the Ministry of Disinformation to censor the live broadcasts from Athens so as not to show any women's sports, especially swimming and gymnastics because the female form will be on display in - GASP! - swimsuits and leotards.

I wonder what the women were wearing on the beach in Cancun, Mexico where Mr. Tabtabai almost drowned earlier this year... If he has a problem with the upcoming Olympic games, may I suggest a radical and apparently untried solution: CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!

Whenever I come across stories like this, I have to think twice before posting my comments on it for fear of embarrasing my country in front of foreign visitors to the blog.

5 comments:

  1. Kiefan should continue the revolution they started in there CO-OP when they kicked the islamists out of it .Hope they are waking up and smelling the stink of there choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe Tabtabai still makes such statements after he almost drowned in Cancun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes absolutely agree with you, and I hear your concerns. I just wish there was another word that can be used other than "islamist" to describe these backward and ludicrous people such as Tabtabai. Maybe "extremist" or "narrow"? As a Muslim I feel that Islam is comepltely innocent of the insanities these people say day in and day out. Unfortuantely it makes it sound like they (i.e. Tabtabai & co.) represent Islam, and that those who disagree with them can't be Muslims too! Sorry Mr. Tabtbai, but I am a devout Muslim and I refuse to let you speak for me or have others "label/lok down on me" because of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Islam-ist is distinct from Islam-ic. "Islamist" connotes a person or a movement that is politicized and uses Islam as a means to achieve power. "Islamic" is more pure and refers to anything directly related to Islam and that has not been corrupted by politics, i.e. Islamic calligraphy, art etc.

    Well, that's how I see it anyway

    ReplyDelete
  5. let them do what they want on KTV, who wants to watch olympics on KTV, watch it on other channels, there are more than enough.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!