Sunday, July 04, 2004

Imagine this here..

I got this news item from Al-Qabas, and it's attributed to Reuters but I couldn't find it on their site...

Dubai International Airport, ever mindful of its millions of passengers' well-being, has just installed a live folklore band from Equador to play soothing music between 10 pm and 4 am, the hours when passengers' nerves are at their most frayed.

Now, close your eyes and imagine Kuwait International Airport innocently attempting a similar effort. All hell would break loose in parliament as one Islamist MP after the other calls for the resignation of the airport manager for allowing such a "desecration of our traditions and values". And they wouldn't be talking about the ugly pink signs dotting the terminal either!!

4 comments:

  1. I had the same thought reading about Dubai's airport :S
    I admire what's going on in Dubai (don't we all?), but I'd rather live here than there..
    And no, it has nothing to do with being kuwaiti (I think)..
    Dubai lacks something.. soul maybe

    You were definitely right about not commenting on Saddam's trial.. there's nothing much to comment on.. not yet anyways.

    (pinksuedeshoes, Kuwait University offers hebrew classes, but they suck.... big time.. i learned more watching israeli channels and listening to Achinoam Nini and Shlomo Artzi - oh and I've just checked your blog out. It's sooo PINK. I love it)

    Zaydoun.. I still think you should have your own column in a local paper.

    (Averroes, thanks for the tip.. Maybe next time i will have them shipped to my office ;)

    Have a nice July, everyone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me.. a weekend in Dubai is more than enough for me. I like it there for fun, but never to live because - as you put it - it ain't got no soul!

    But I really truly envy Dubai for its ability to get things done, and how they go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I agree. I live in Bahrain, and although I enjoy visiting Dubai, I would never want to move there permanently. But, there is soo much we can (and must) learn from Dubai. I definitely envy them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dubai is like a big glitzy cake with lots of icing but once you cut through, all you find is Styrofoam.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!