Sunday, July 25, 2004

Norway has our problems too

I read this interesting article in the New York Times about Norway. You need to register for free to read it, but here's the opening paragraph:
Before the oil boom, when Norway was mostly poor and largely isolated, the country survived on its hard work and self-reliance, two stalwart Scandinavian virtues. Now, with the country still bulging from three decades of oil money, Norway is discovering that sudden wealth does not come without complications: The country's bedrock work ethic is caving in. Like the overindulged children of newly minted millionaires, Norwegians now stay home from work at a rate that is the highest in Europe, outdoing even the former titleholder, Sweden.

Sound familiar? Of course it does, but don't be fooled. When Norwegians do show up to work, they actually work very hard and are very productive. The same cannot be said about government workers in Kuwait, whose presence or absence have pretty much the same effect.

1 comment:

  1. This post really struck a chord with me. I've wanted to comment on it for a while but never knew what to say. I still don't, really. Maybe what I felt was a sense of nostalgia for a Kuwaiti spirit I never knew. All I know is I love Kuwait and I know it has SO much potential, if its youth would wake up and really apply themselves.
    I'm lucky to know some amazingly talented and driven Kuwaitis so I know what I'm talking about.

    Gigi, seriously

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!