Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Palestinians and the Invasion

It seems I've sparked a debate on Palestinians and their perceived role during the invasion. So here's my official take on it:

The gross misjudgment of Yasser Arafat and the late King Hussein, and their stupid backing of Saddam Hussein, will go down as one of history's greatest blunders. If anything, it did more harm to their own people than it did to us as Kuwaitis. The seeds of the PLO were planted in Kuwait as far back as 1959, when no other country would give Arafat the time of day, and continued to enjoy both government and popular support right up to the Iraqi invasion. Millions of dinars were poured into the PLO coffers - God knows how much of it actually ended up helping Palestinian refugees and how much of it lined Arafat's pockets. At least Arafat was continuing his tradition of bad judgement and screw-ups (Lebanon, anyone?). King Hussein simply had no excuse!

We Kuwaitis were profoundly and understandably betrayed when we watched Arafat embrace Saddam Hussein a few days after he invaded Kuwait. It was simply inconceivable; how could he do this to us after everything we did for his people? And yet, every Palestinian I knew at the time was more upset at him than we were. How could they not be? He basically put their lives in danger and ruined their prosperous existence in Kuwait for good. Many middle and upper class Palestinians were also on vacation that August, and found themselves stranded outside Kuwait just like Kuwaitis and had their homes looted and destroyed just like Kuwaitis. But of course, after Kuwait was liberated they could not return to their previous lives, schools and jobs. Many others who happened to be here in August '90, simply gave up after a few weeks and left Kuwait because they knew that Arafat had driven a wedge between them and the country they loved, and earned them the hatred and wrath of Kuwaitis. A Palestinian friend told me he had to leave because he could not bear the thought of being hated for his stupid leader's mistake. He loved this country so much, and felt it was his home, but he knew when it was all over there would be an understandable backlash, so he left. Others left, just as Kuwaitis left, in the hopes of returning to Kuwait once the invasion was over.

Another thing we hold against Palestinians is that very few, if any, of them had the courage to speak out against Arafat's position and call attention to the injustice of the invasion. But I attribute that silence as typical Arab fear of challenging leaders, compounded by active silencing of any dissenting voices that refuse to follow the party line.

And what about the Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza demonstrating in support of Saddam in 1991? I don't presume to speak for them, but if I were that desperate I would believe anyone who told me that freedom was near. Sure it was stupid, but that's human nature. And how do we know these demonstrations weren't staged for the cameras? I witnessed a pro-Saddam demonstration right here in Kuwait in front of one of the tacky monuments he erected for himself all around town. I found myself driving into the middle of a rowdy mob jumping up and down and chanting for Saddam, when suddenly the chanting stopped and the mob was rounded up AT GUNPOINT into buses waiting on the side to take them back to Basra or wherever. Later that night, I switched on Iraqi TV and saw the same demonstration on their news and even spotted my car for a split second on the edge of the TV screen. The news claimed that KUWAITIS were demonstrating in support of Saddam!

So, in the end, many Palestinians screwed up and many others were harmed. I also have to acknowledge the large number of heroic Palestinians who did not stand idly by, but volunteered to help Kuwaitis any way that they could. Others simply grabbed what they could and got out.

The moral of the story (and this rather long post) is that there is good and bad in every nation. Passing judgement and generalizations only leads to more misunderstandings. My family's furniture business was blown up during the invasion, not by Iraqis or even Palestinians, but by well-intentioned yet misguided Kuwaiti resistance fighters who were targetting the Iraqi-owned grocery next door where soldiers would hang out. And yet, could I suddenly turn on my own fellow Kuwaitis for that stupid mistake? OF COURSE NOT!

7 comments:

  1. Palastinians don't deserve any sympathy. If 1 out of 10 commits an error, yeah it would be unfair to be general and say all of Palastinians are criminals. But when 9 out of 10 are commiting mistakes after mistakes... then you have to be general.

    Historical Fact: Arafat's Bank Robbery
    http://lebaneseforces.com/blastfromthepast001.asp

    Historical Fact: Palestinian terrorism and war crimes
    http://lebaneseforces.com/blastfromthepast006.asp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kuwait supported Saddam through out his war against Iran and against his own people.
    Doesn't that mean we betrayed Iraqis an Iranians?
    Maybe it's time Kuwaitis stop acting like they're God's chosen people, people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, its time we stop supporting anyone since they're going to turn on us anyway. Besides, with Saddam we were "supposedly" backing the lesser evil.

    Mark, you're Lebanese and you have your own grievances against Palestinians. Keep us out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I replied I wasn't replying on behalf of Kuwait neither was I replying on behalf of my government. I was just stating my own personal opinion on what I believe and have seen. No where in my post was I trying to mislead people into believing that its what the Kuwaiti or Lebanese believe.

    Shurouq, about the fact that Kuwait supported Iraq against Iran then I believe yes the Iranians should hold a grudge against Kuwait if they choose to. During war you have to choose a side and the consequences that follow. Kuwait chose Iraq and if Iran wants to hold it against Kuwait its there right don't you agree?

    Palastine chose Iraq against Kuwait, and they lost and now are banned from entering Kuwait. Thats the consequence of their decision.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is not fair! I did NOT compare the two incidents. I was attempting to show how reactions to certain events can be emotional and irrational.

    Of course it was an accident!! But I narrowly escaped being blown to bits at our shop at the hands of misguided resitance fighters. Imagine my mother's reaction if I was indeed killed. No amount of explanation that it was an accident could ever make up for the loss of a son, and she would've been filled with irrational hatred forever!

    Why would they put a car bomb in front of a Kuwaiti owned business? Even the Iraqi grocer had a Kuwaiti partner! And would killing a few Iraqi soldiers have made any difference to Saddam Hussein? NO!

    It was plain stupid and nobody can convince me otherwise, yet I don't hold any grudges. At least I'm still alive!

    By the way, I never said anywhere that Palestinians should not bear the consequences of their decisions. Trust me, any sympathy I have for them evaporates when I see that they haven't yet killed Arafat! I was very clear that their position was inexcusable! But sadly, in Kuwait the good got mixed in with the bad - which is normal in any war. And the strange thing is that most acts of vengeance against Palestinians were carried out by Kuwaitis who weren't even here during the invasion!!

    Anyway, can we please put this to rest? What the hell was I thinking opening old wounds on the blog?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reflecting on the 90s Palestinian tragedy in Kuwait the following comes to mind:
    `Good and bad people live together under the sun as the black thread and the white are woven together in a cloth. When either one of the black or white thread breaks ,the weaver shall look into the whole cloth ,and he shall examine the loom also'.
    As far as big fat Brutus (read Arafat)goes,he is a treacherous traitor. He is as much a partner in crime as Saddam in executing this megalomaniac fantasy. No amount of crocodile tears shed now will ever restore the status quo for him and his poodles in this country.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!