Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Blog Junkie

I recall a while back, Mama Fusla warned of Internet and Blog addiction. I saw her point, but of course I declared myself "above such nonsense". Well, boys and girls... she was right. It's happened. I am now officially addicted to blogging!

I realized it last night, and started running the symptoms through my head. Here they are:
  1. Instead of checking email, I'm now more interested in checking comments on posts, both on my blog and others.
  2. I configured Blogger to send me alerts to my Hotmail so now I get a little pop-up alert thingie on MSN Messenger whenever there's a new comment on my blog.
  3. I'm finding difficulty pulling myself away from the PC.
  4. My work is suffering because I'm blogging at the office. Even when I try to do some work, the MSN alerts distract me and I run back to the blog to see what's there, and of course think of a reply.
  5. I'm sleeping later than usual.
  6. Last night I got into bed then remembered a comment that Sheba made on Mad M's blog, that I maybe didn't answer properly. I jumped out of bed and went back to the PC to check what I said.
  7. Before falling asleep, I ran a few ideas in my head for my next blog subject. Surely there are other things to think about!!
  8. The new "topic du jour" among friends is who said what on whose blog.
  9. The new guessing game among friends is trying to guess bloggers' identities.
  10. You know how I said it was bliss being offline for a week on vacation? I LIED! It was torture at first, but then I gradually got used to it. A case of blog withdrawal?

For more general symptoms, I urge you all to check out this list. Is there a 12-step program to cure this addiction? HELP!!

I will leave you with a verse from Angie Stone's "Love Junkie" , reworded:

Blog junkie

So damn funky

Stone cold monkey

Hard to shake off my back

10 comments:

  1. Zaydoun, i'm in tears!
    * My msn sends me my e-mails on my Wataniya line, so i can read any comments going on my blog at 3 am!! (not recommended).
    * I am addicted to your blog more than any other. u'v mastered it, & u'v managed to get us addicted too!
    * My boss is out of town & instead of meeting my girl friends for lunch or coffee i am sitting here blogging :/
    * Obviously we're having fun here, so what does that say about our lives? We even have bloggers from land of the thongs! Maybe we're all just socially curious and we've found other people that we can connect with some way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mobile phone alerts? That is extreme!

    We should all get together as Blog Addicts Anonymous and share our experiences, form a support group. But we have to wear paper bags over our heads and talk through voice boxes to protect our identities ;-P

    Btw, I was just in a meeting and I drifted away to Blogland and heard nothing that was being discussed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean we don't already know whos who?

    Btw, i forgot to sell my stocks (because i was busy blogging). Maybe i should go out. Are we using this as an escape?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we each know a few, but I generally don't know who most of the bloggers are. And I really don't care, because it's more fun not to know!

    Still, I admit I get curious sometimes. Especially when the writing is so sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be 2 much to blog while you @ the chalet. But @ the same time we still manage to discuss it on the weekend in the pool (hint hint) we all stand guilty.
    I honestly can say it is keeping from jumping out of the window @ work.

    Sheba...I dont know most of you,,,some of you I would like to know. Specially the perverts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mosan, il pervs are the ones i dont want to know, i like to know the funny ones and the sharp ones. I guess each and his/her inclination (dare i say) ;)

    But i have to say that i do worry about my identity and i sometimes want to be more 'honest' but knowing that some bloggers know me hinders that :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don?t mean to intrude but I still don?t have these symptoms.. and I am guess that?s because I am relatively new to this, and still having very hard time managing my way around.. Little more, I am having even more trouble managing my own blog site.. LOL

    On the other hand, I think I can relate though.. I have the same symptoms you guys have when it comes to public forums.. I turn on my PC, click on IE twice to get 2 windows.. log in my mail, simultaneously log in the forum..

    Oh and Kuwaiti stocks?? Really!!!.. you guys still in the market?? Think Nasdaq in year 2000.. I am out of the trading game.. been out for a month.. pulled everything out except the long term investment companies that I really wouldn?t care if it goes down....I got hurt way too many times in the past.. need to slow down a little on that road.. But what can I say, Stock Markets are like women, they?ll hurt you, but you keep coming back to them.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just came back from one week away, and I did not touch the pc once, never felt like it.

    Now I am looking at all these blogs and posts posts posts, tons of them, but I agree with you, it is an addiction, and I know who to blame, not you don't worry.

    You will get over it one day, as we all did with irc (long hours behind unix terminals).

    ReplyDelete
  9. zaydoun: im going throught the same thing here. it all started out one sunny florida afternoon when i got a link sent to me by a q8e friend in france and i read your rant on lebanon. like cocaine, i needed a quick fix every five minutes. now im a full blow addict that has their mobile linked to Yahoo mail alerts that i get everytime someone posts something in my blogs. which is redundant really because im always on my laptop, and i even sleep right next to it..
    i share many of the same symptoms and maybe enven worse. i have a wireless network set up here in my house, so the laptop goes with me into the bathroom, the kitchen, living room. im not tied down to a specific location, but i am chained to my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea, but many bloggers want to remain anonymous. Also, Nibaq and his friends used to have monthly meetings at Wi-Fi equipped cafes. Are they still on?

    Pink, you need to quit sniffing and lay off the coke ;-P

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!