Monday, March 21, 2005

I Want One Of These!

Mitch Altman, a 48-year old inventor living in San Francisco, said that in the last three months he has sold about 30,000 of his key-chain-size zappers called TV-B-Gone, which can be used discreetly to switch off televisions in public places. "When you go to a restaurant to talk with friends, why should you have to deal with the distraction of a ceiling-mounted television?" Mr. Altman said.

I absolutely hate the fad that has swept Kuwait in the form of loud plasma TVs blasting in restaurants. I don't mind loud music in certain places, but the addition of a TV screen is too distracting. And also because the TVs are either tuned to video channels which add loud commercials to the noise mix, or they play the same three music DVDs every time you go there.. (MAKI anyone?).

The only worthy exception in my opinion is having a loud TV in sports bars or cafes, where at least there's a game to be watched and enjoyed in a fun atmosphere.

4 comments:

  1. Oh thank the lord someone else thinks the Maki Tv is maddening..It's the reason I stopped going there..Can't have a decent conversation. I'll take one of those zappers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zaydoun: yes god the tv fad is awfull, and yes the only place where they fit is in sports bars, or some nightclubs as long as its incorporated with the decor and goes with the music, but therein lies the problem, for there are no nightclubs or sports bars in kuwait ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. VW... I hate to break this to you, but the only places in New York that have TV screens are sports bars or places that have passed their "hot" expiry date, desperate to attract crowds.

    Mishu... where you been? long time no see

    ReplyDelete
  4. VW.. I think you missed my point. If Maki would play loud music on their hi-fi system, I wouldn't mind at all.. but the TV screen IS a distraction. The glare is too much for a small space, and you end up with people staring at the screen like zombies instead of looking at their dinner companions.

    And what are they showing anyway? The same 3 DVD concerts, none of which are any good

    Of course, I put up with all that because I love their food!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!