Thursday, March 31, 2005

Playlist March 31 - April 6

Some new tracks, and a couple of classics in this week's playlist:
  1. Beck - Girl and E-Pro: Two tracks from Beck's new album. Very different in sound, as we've come to expect from him.
  2. Do Me Bad Things - What's Hideous?: Top prize for worst band name in living memory, but this song is a strange combo of soulful vocals with Led Zeppelin-influenced guitars. Reminds me of the late Skunk Anansie.
  3. Moby - Lift Me Up: The usually soft-spoken Moby comes back rocking with this infectious anthem with shades of 80's new wave. Did I tell you about the time he hung out with me and some friends in New York? He didn't say a word!!
  4. Toto - Hold The Line: By a strange coincidence, I heard this late 70's classic twice last week in 2 different places around town. Chocolate Bar was one of them.. can't remember the other.
  5. The Cars - Just What I Needed: Still one of the coolest guitar intros ever.. Many nights spent in front of the mirror practicing air guitar moves!

10 comments:

  1. I wish the rain is my favorite and the other one that I cannot remember

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another cryptic comment from Purg72... Favorite what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toto, Africa is the official name of the song, I thought you would know it :P

    As for the other song, it is Rosanna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course I know them.. I just prefer "Hold The Line" because its a straightforward pop/rock song, rather than an attempt at world music by white musicians who've never been to Africa ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nychick... Been there, it was packed. Moby was inside too!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What on earth hapenned to Skunk Anansie... I used to listen to them in high school with a crazy but bloody awesome half german half emarati friend of mine, and we'd go nuts to them! can't remember much of their stuff tho...they seem to have disappeared into oblivion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emirienne... They officially broke up a few years ago. And then whatshername put out a solo album that tanked

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanna hear all about the Moby story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Skin's album tanked, but it was fabulous. Listen to: Faithfulness and Trashed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1814... not much of a story.

    Last June I was with my friends at the rooftop lounge of Soho House (NYC) on a Monday night. Moby walked in. One of the girls with us worked at the NY Post and she knew him and called him over to sit with us... so he did. He barely said a word!

    Then later that night Michael Moore walked in.. "Fahrenheit 9/11" had just come out that week, so there was quite a buzz. But man, he was FAT!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!