Friday, July 01, 2005

War Of The Worlds


I'm starting to enjoy this movie review business, and I think KNCC should be paying me ;-)

Anyway, here's my review of Steven Spielberg's new summer blockbuster War Of The Worlds, starring Tom Cruise and... um... yeah that's about it. No wait, Tim Robbins makes a creepy guest appearance half-way through the movie.

The movie is a loose update of the H.G. Wells classic novel, which had its infamous mass audience debut with Orson Welles's 1938 live radio play which listeners mistook for a real news broadcast, running out into the streets in sheer terror.

In my determination not to give away any plot spoilers, let me just draw on a few parallels. Anyone who has lived through war or a foreign invasion will find eerie flashbacks in the scenes where the first invasions take place. They are very unsettling.

The movie's special effects are breathtaking, but at the same time absolutely terrifying. Earth is being invaded by monsters from outer space but you don't really know what they want, and that's what makes it so scary. Although the events take place between working-class suburb Bayonne, New Jersey and Boston, throughout the film the characters would talk about alien ships destroying large chunks of Europe, South America etc... No mention of the Middle East; I guess the aliens simply weren't interested. شنو يبون فينا؟؟؟

Tom Cruise gives a solid performance as a father determined to protect his children from the invaders, and for a couple of hours he's good enough to make you forget about his Scientology nonsense and his recent unhinged TV appearances. There are even t-shirts being sold in New York with the slogan "Free Katie", in reference to his recent engagment to Katie Holmes.

I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, but I do enjoy it when it's well written and well produced, and War Of The Worlds is exactly that. Go see it!

And now let me tell you about my KNCC experience Wednesday night. First I booked my tickets online which was very easy and convenient, except for the bit where you have to choose between Families or Bachelor. Yes folks, there's a picture of a family with 2 kids and another picture of one man in a suit. I wanted to pull my hair out!

I took a denim jacket with me, fearing the usual sub-zero A/C temperatures but I was shocked to find that it was actually warm inside the Al-Fanar theatre. Too warm even.

The movie trailers were all suitably creepy, announcing scary movies like The Jacket, Dark Water, House of Wax and so on, building a sense of dread ahead of the main feature . I'd like to think KNCC did that on purpose in a stroke of programming genius... but lets not push it.

Question: What would the film be called in Arabic? حرب العوالم? That sounds like a movie starring تحية كاريوكا and ميمي شكيب!!

21 comments:

  1. Jambino... There is nothing cut from it at all. Go see it here.. and I already sent KNCC a message about the A/C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pick and choose


    إى تى المتوحش

    تسونامى المخلوقات الفضائية

    غزو الكائنات المبيدة

    الأب الشجاع

    إرهاب المريخ

    الأبراج الجائعة


    I know..I should work at KNCC

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah the whole point of the post is that you want to get some sugar from KNCC, so how about passing some of that sugar on us?

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I saw it yesterday and it was a waste of money lilasaf.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. really nice review zaydoun thanks alot .. and i dont know why they DO translate names !!! wo any news about having another company in kuwait ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. عاد انا شنو مااحب افلام المخلوقات الفضائيه كلش :P

    موعدي مع الفيلم باكر انشالله

    زيدون تذكر ايام السينما ليمن كل ماينزل فيلم حق سلفستر ستالون تكون كل اسامي الافلامه فيها رامبو.
    رامبو المتسلق .. رامبو المدمر .. رامبو المتوهق.

    اما الترجمة العربيه للفيلم فهي امر سهل: مخلوقات مجلس الامه ضد الدكتوره

    ReplyDelete
  7. lil alien

    اكيد أذكر... ولا ننسى الحسناء والبطل، الحسناء والوحش، الحسناء و.. الخ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I?m disappointed in Steven Spielberg?I think he lost his edge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bo Jaij & Zaydoun,

    I have more Arabic titles:
    حرب العالمين

    ياجوج و ماجوج

    غزوة الثقلين

    نهاية الشيطان الاكبر

    They?re religiously themed, to be approved by our distinguished MPs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol
    You guys crack me up

    Zaydoun,
    The trailer was a turnoff, are you sure the movie's worth it?

    من يذكر أيام "أين تذهب هذا المساء" دعاية فيلم "إغراء".. تمثيل "إغراء"، تأليف "إغراء"

    الأفلام اللبنانية أيام الحرب، الله لا يوريكم

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the movie. Someone raised up the question of "What do the aliens want?", saying that this is one of the reasons movie's story wasn't good, which got me thinking a little.

    But now I find your review: "you don't really know what they want, and that's what makes it so scary" ... i find it more appealing :D

    I expected the movie to flop big time coze of the hype around it, but speilberg didn't disappoint me this time =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. to be honest i didn't like it
    i`ve got the point from the movie ,
    and how the director wants you to live in this environment , bas a7es al film 9amet 7eel 9amet , mako 7achy thak al zood wo 6eweeeel .

    ReplyDelete
  13. i liked the moviw but the ending wasn't good, the effects like all of u guys said, it's breathtaking, very nice.
    plus i liked the little girl with tom cruise, she is good in the movie
    i give it 8 out of 10

    get ready for "king kung", they showed us the trailer it is amazing WOW i can't wait to watch it coming december 2005, i don't know when it will be available in kuwait may same time or after

    ReplyDelete
  14. The movie in MHO was ok

    Not trying to spoil the movie for those who have not seen it yet, but, was a hidden message in it. The message was about courage in different situations. The courage of the son in standing to what he believes. The main character although seems scared and to some extend coward, but look at from his point of view. Is he scared or courageous in trying to save his family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. زيدون توني أشوف موضوعك
    يعني ترى مو بايقة العنوان
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hwka... I wanted to strangle her too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I had something constructive to say....but I dont!

    BOYCOTT KNCC!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shurouq.. I could've sworn I saw your parents going in to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. في شغله غريبه بالفلم لمن تطيح الطيارة فوق البيت السيارة مايصير فيها ولاشي ,, لاااا والي يبط الجبد في طريج حق السيارة عشان تمشي فيه .

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved the review.

    Loved the movie.

    Loved 7arb il 3awalem

    ReplyDelete
  21. i didn't like the movie, but liked the review ;p

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!