Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Kill Bill Redux

I know most of you have more sense than to go see a movie at any of the theatres around Kuwait, even though some of the theatres are really nice and have state-of-the-art sound and projection, with the most comfortable chairs around. It's sad because most of the movies shown are butchered beyond recogintion by the censors, and you find yourself suppressing the urge to scream obscenities at the screen. I know my blood pressure goes up everytime I go, so I keep my visits to a minimum and only go to see "safe" movies, if at all.

But one easy way to find out how much has been hacked off a movie you're about to see - and save yourself any disappointing surprises - is to first go to the KNCC website to look up the movie's running time (length), then go to the Internet Movie Database, look up that same movie and compare running times. If the difference is more than one minute, stay at home and wait for the DVD. You may think a minute isn't much, but trust me it is..



That said, Kill Bill Vol.2 - which is showing this weekend - is originally 136 minutes long. The KNCC website says it's only 112 minutes. So that is TWENTY FOUR F$@%&#G MINUTES MISSING!!!

WHY BOTHER SHOWING IT?

The DVD is out on August 10th, so I suggest you wait..

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip Zaydoun.
    So the 10 minute intermission is to make up for the butchering or to buy time until the second reel arrived from the other cinema!
    Maybe its simpler than this, do movie goers in Kuwait suffer from bladder problems?

    you start off with a silly translated film title, drink your flat coke and listen the special featured toddler and watch your movie getting butchered, that's what I call movie Magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, they got rid of the intermissions - which were for smokers anyway - and the movie is really missing 24 minutes

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOOOO! Please wait for the DVD. I saw it in full in NYC and it was amazing. I'm a huge Tarantino fan and it hurts to see his work desecrated like that.

    You can wait a month for the DVD. Trust me it'll be worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that we're on the subject of movies, could you tell me (anyone) if movie sales are lower than what might be normal (NYC, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver) cities?

    Anyway, you guys are nuts to actually want to see Kill Bill. I mean, yelch. But I guess with all the censoring that goes on, you'd be happy to see anything. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weird! I don't recall deleting my post. Why would I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm... not sure how that happened

    ReplyDelete
  8. His post was being deleted at the same time I was putting my comment. The page tried to reload at least 5 times and got stuck. When it finally was over I went to look at my comment and his was gone!!!!! It was so good too.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!