Saturday, August 14, 2004

Playlist August 14-20

Here's what I'm singing along to this week:

  1. Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme: A fantastic summer dancefloor anthem. Crank it up and go wild!
  2. Fairuz - Al-Mahatta المحطة (full soundtrack): My dad (RIP) gave me this live recording of the hit musical play on cassette when I was a kid, and I've loved it ever since. I have it on CD now and it still sounds great. This is without a doubt the Rahbani Brothers' ultimate masterpiece. It's funny and sharp, and features some of Fairuz's most memorable hits.
  3. Rush - Time Stand Still: I never liked Rush, always thought they were overblown and pompous. Yet somehow they managed to create this gorgeous rock song in 1988 which apparently didn't resonate with their equally pompous fans. Go figure!
  4. Freestylers - Push Up: Another rocking party tune that I've actually heard on FM 99.7. It has a totally 80's feel to it, but it's great fun!

6 comments:

  1. first the darkness, now rush, who is next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends what you mean... Do you want the bands I like or hate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well rock is much better than any other type of music, the rest is candy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.. But my definition of good rock is U2. Bad rock is 80's hair metal and Prog Rock

    ReplyDelete
  5. U2 is not a standard, they are good, but not top notch. True rock still resides in the 1970's, the 1980's brought another form of rock, mostly heavy metal, which was still good.

    The main part of good rock is guitar. Once you have the right guitar man, then it all blends in. If you have a good lead singer, then you get top notch. While this would fit U2, they are becoming more soft, with their poltically motivated songs and themes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen any information on music as seen on tv? I just have not had the best results when blog surfing today. Anywho back to my endless search for music as seen on tv.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!