Saturday, August 14, 2004

I Want a Robot!

Went to see I, Robot yesterday. I quite enjoyed it, although the underlying theme of robots taking over our societies was a bit disturbing. I did like the idea of a personal robot following me around and taking orders. It could clean up my room, do my laundry without ruining my clothes, cook for me and drive me to work... sigh!

Can you imagine what life in Kuwait would be like with robots instead of the armies of manual laborers and maids and cooks etc.?
  • For starters, we would just buy the robots and upgrade them when it's time to add new features.
  • We wouldn't have to deal with visas, work permits and "iqamas" and all that bureaucratic nonsense.
  • There would be no تجار إقامات making millions off of poor migrant workers.
  • We wouldn't have to house them in poverty-level housing in one of the world's richest countries.
  • There would be no incidents of human rights violations against migrant workers.

What else? Tell me!!

5 comments:

  1. HWKW.. that was priceless!

    Crispy, if there's anything that gets my blood boiling it's the sight of families with their kids and uniformed nannies out for the day at some mall. Yes, some kids can be a handful and the nannies can come in handy.. but why do they have to wear the uniform at the mall? Why can't they be made to feel like part of the family on a day out in weekend clothes? Uniforms are for the work place, in this case it's the home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. - there isn't any visa , but you need to have insurance on your robot
    - since they can't track worth shit, insurace time is 6 month , so they can fine you when you renew
    - each 6 month you have to take your robot to the genral inspection so they can check its part , if you have connection ( wasta ) you don't have to go
    - you can't register a robot for someone younger than 18

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are already robots, so no sense in thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an excellent post!
    Reading the comments gave me a few good laughs.... especially hwkw.... priceless indeed... although.. the part of the lebanese hmmmmmm e7em e7em

    ReplyDelete
  5. The robots will be called the new ((Budoon)). No rights to vote,learn,eat,drink,sleep or even breath.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!