Sunday, August 22, 2004

Playlist August 21 - 27

I was too tired to do this yesterday, and today I got distracted by other things - most notably Mad M2000's controversial post about nationality.... And shame on you all for not reminding me!

This week I'm in an soulful old school mood..
  1. Aretha Franklin - 30 Greatest Hits: Surely one of the greatest voices of the 20th century. This is a collection of her late 60's and early 70's hits, when her voice was at its peak. Many of today's female R&B vocalists simply scream their lungs out, sometimes off-key, just to show off their pipes. They could all learn from Aretha how it's done right. She IS the Queen of Soul!
  2. Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life: Before the crime against humanity that was "I just called to say I love you", from which he never recovered, Stevie Wonder's songs were tough, political, soulful and beautiful. This double-disc album is his undoubted masterpiece.
  3. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill: A classic hip-hop epic with old school soul that will sound timeless forever. Of course, this was before she went batshit and disappeared into some cult.

7 comments:

  1. My favorites of course, are Aretha Franklin's I Will Survive and Stevie Wonder's I just called :P Amazing songs :P Reminds me of when before I was born LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHAME ON YOU!!!! Aretha Franklin did NOT sing the godawful "I Will Survive", it was sung by Gloria Gaynor, and where is she now? Exactly!.. And anyone who likes "I just called.." is no friend of mine!!

    You are hereby banished from this blog until you redeem yourself! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, then I must be mistaken, what did aretha franklin sing? :r I know it is something major but can't remember :P hehe And why Stevie Wonder has plenty of great hits hehe :P I'm just thinking on an empty stomache which isn't good at all :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. R-E-S-P-E-C-T,
    find out what it means to me

    Oh (sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me), A little respect (sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me)

    Now you know Jackie :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes that is my favorite song for Aretha Franklin :P hehe Now I remember :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you like lauryn Hill I recommend her MTV Unplugged DVD. And Baby Face Unplugged. I like almost anything Unplugged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watching Lauryn Hill's Unplugged is proof positive that the poor woman has lost it. It was a painful experience that I hope never to repeat.

    What a shame!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!