Monday, August 30, 2004

SuperStar Yawn

Is it me or has SuperStar lost its appeal and excitement? Last year, I remember getting sucked into the show at a later stage and found myself rooting for my favorites and furiously voting via SMS. I remember it being the talk of the town, with people asking each other who they were rooting for, and urging us to vote for this or that singer.

This year? Nothing, nada, zip, zilch! I tried my best to watch and even though the calibre of talent this year was much much higher, with some truly amazing voices, I just couldn't get into it. I didn't even know the final was last night until I read about it in today's papers!!


So, the Libyan singer with the overdone "bedhead" haircut won. I'm happy for him. When was the last time we saw anything good come out of Libya? I'm sure there are countless talented people there from all walks of life, but with a "loony tunes" president like Qaddafi hogging the spotlight, how could they possibly shine?

6 comments:

  1. Qaddafi offered free calls for a week so that guy can win

    if you saw world super star contest you would see how crappy the arabic one is bad , ALL of them sang in english , ours sang in arabic and wasn't good ( yeah sing um kolthoom for poland , that would work )
    and she always was last unless it was a country with arabic worker ( USA , england , france ..etc )

    superstar has become more politic than talant , its a waste of time to see

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zaydoun,I'm one of your avid readers as your blog is full of life, but I usually do not comment that much. I'm from Libya so thanks for your good wishes to Ayman, I just wanted to clarify that unless you live in Libya you would not know if the calls were for free or not would you ? Well they weren't and I wrote about it on my blog (http://lonehighlander.blogspot.com/2004/08/libyan-pop-idol-highlander-arab-pop.html) - too lazy to change this into tinyurl , en plus for the last 3 days of that week we could not even vote ; our rumours had it that 'we' wanted to give the prize to Amar . What do you think of that ? Please visit my site and you will perhaps know a little more about the real Libya I hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome from Libya. You're right, we know almost nothing about your country because the only news that comes out of there is news of your president, most of it silly!

    I always imagine the Libyan coastline as endless beautiful and unspoiled beaches.. Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Zaydoun, the beaches are endless, beautiful and 99.9 % unspoiled just sand , rocks and water. I could be the only one in the world in some places. Just ask any expat here. The desert is still unspoilt too...I'm dreading the flock of tourists which has recently increased from a small stream of the most daring ones. I believe that we should be implementing stricter laws to safeguard national heritage sites not aim for quick cash... I have some photos of Libya in my link on the blog you can see my humble efforts :)
    Last time I visited Kuwait was 1980....
    No diwaniya tonight or are you posting from your mobile ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way sorry it was forzaq8 who made the comment about the free calls being offered so I should have addressed my reply to him I guess..oh and I think you should try some freelance writing some of the things you post are hilarious Zaydoun - Do you speal French?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Je parle un peu de francais, good enough to get by but certainly not good enough to blog in french.

    And I think 2 languages on this blog are enough :-)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!