Saturday, December 04, 2004

Playlist December 4 - 10

A live act and a girl band in this week's playlist...
  1. Wust El Balad وسط البلد: I had the privilege of catching this funky Egyptian band in a live performance over the weekend. Imagine original Arabic material performed in a style that's a hybrid of Egyptian folk, Santana, Gypsy Kings, Barenaked Ladies... you name it! I was shocked to learn they don't have a recording contract while no-talent jerks and bimbos pollute the airwaves with their squawking! You can hear them on their website in the meantime.
  2. What will the neighbors say? - Girls Aloud: Yes, folks.. Zaydoun the music snob has fallen - and fallen hard! - for a totally manufactured girl group from England. I read the great reviews in the British press and dismissed them as the usual over-excited ravings of rock critics. But thanks to iTunes, which allowed me to preview the album... I'm now hooked!
  3. I Don't Care - The Roots: My search for this year's best rap/hip-hop song is over!
  4. Fairuz: Random classics from the eternal legend, inspired by the raging debate on new blog احتجاج. I just put the iPod on random and let it go... رجعت الشتوية just came on. Very appropriate for this weather!
  5. Band Aid 20 - Do They Know it's Christmas?: 20 years after the cheesy original (which I loved!), this time it's more of a guitar&piano affair, with the mandatory rap break in the middle. It sounds good, and it's for a good cause.. but it drags on a bit and it all goes horribly wrong at the end with a really bad guitar solo that's totally unnecessary.

12 comments:

  1. I guess you know what I will say, and on which song :) shame on you, shame shame shame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allah Fairuz... warm voice m3 hal weather... sej WoW.. m3 el fire place... hmmmmm<<<--!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Akon's "Ghetto" is pretty tight, so is that new song with Guerilla Black feat. Mario Winans. Zaydoun, I'm sure you'll also like that new song by Mario, it's called Let Me Love you, anyways, good luck on your new job, and have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee Purg, let me guess... I know The Darkness took part in Band Aid 20, so was it their nasty guitar solo at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I did not even look at that part, I just got to Girls Aloud, and that was enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah.. I know.. even I can't believe it myself. But then I'm a sucker for a good tune, no matter who's performing it. And this time they delivered!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well If you just listen to a song without knowing who sings it, many times it works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try not to let my musical prejudices get in the way. For example, I don't like Britney Spears.. but I love "Toxic"

    So... download Girls Aloud, close your eyes and pretend they're whoever you want them to be (in a PG rated version of course)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, I have some idea who I want them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ripped_Heart... do you mean the Mario Winans song that uses the strings intro from Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach"?? I'm sorry but I hate it. I liked "I Don't Wanna Know" though....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! While I was searching for info on as seen on tv make up I somehow landed here. I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for as seen on tv make up. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!