- Wust El Balad وسط البلد: I had the privilege of catching this funky Egyptian band in a live performance over the weekend. Imagine original Arabic material performed in a style that's a hybrid of Egyptian folk, Santana, Gypsy Kings, Barenaked Ladies... you name it! I was shocked to learn they don't have a recording contract while no-talent jerks and bimbos pollute the airwaves with their squawking! You can hear them on their website in the meantime.
- What will the neighbors say? - Girls Aloud: Yes, folks.. Zaydoun the music snob has fallen - and fallen hard! - for a totally manufactured girl group from England. I read the great reviews in the British press and dismissed them as the usual over-excited ravings of rock critics. But thanks to iTunes, which allowed me to preview the album... I'm now hooked!
- I Don't Care - The Roots: My search for this year's best rap/hip-hop song is over!
- Fairuz: Random classics from the eternal legend, inspired by the raging debate on new blog احتجاج. I just put the iPod on random and let it go... رجعت الشتوية just came on. Very appropriate for this weather!
- Band Aid 20 - Do They Know it's Christmas?: 20 years after the cheesy original (which I loved!), this time it's more of a guitar&piano affair, with the mandatory rap break in the middle. It sounds good, and it's for a good cause.. but it drags on a bit and it all goes horribly wrong at the end with a really bad guitar solo that's totally unnecessary.
Saturday, December 04, 2004
Playlist December 4 - 10
A live act and a girl band in this week's playlist...