While the show had its fair share of English-speaking performers such as the dynamic Usher, the gorgeous Jennnifer Lopez (but what a lame song!), the sublime Alicia Keys (who I want to marry) and others... it was the quality of the French performances that was the real surprise. I've always been skeptical of French musicians, and once even suggested a UN resolution banning all French people from singing. This was back when all they had to offer were cheesy Vegas-style "artistes" like Johnny Halliday, Dalida, Sylvie Vartan, Sacha Distel, Mireille Mathieu and others too awful to mention here. This time the new breed of artists simply ROCKED!!
There's a compilation CD produced by NRJ with all the nominees on it but I couldn't find it at Geneva airport. I foolishly went to Virgin at Marina Mall today in the hopes of finding at least ONE of the songs I wanted, but all they had were the same awful performers I just listed.But here are my French recommendations from the show anyway. Find them online if you must:
- Jenifer - Ma Revolution: Think France's answer to Avril Lavigne or Alanis Morissette. This song just begs for an English version.
- Calogero (avec Passi) - Face a la Mer: A great rock song, with rapped verses and a killer chorus.
- Corneille - Parce qu'on vient de loin: Classy, soulful French R&B... Who knew?
- K-Maro - Femme Like You: At first I squirmed when this hip-hop wannabe came onstage, but the performance - complete with the sexiest dancers ever - was just stunning. Turns out he's originally Lebanese too!
- Leslie & Amine - Sobri: R&B and Rai (Rai n B?), an unholy alliance.. and that's why it works!