Sunday, May 15, 2005

Destiny's Child Review

As promised, here it is... The picture above is not from the show in Dubai, couldn't find any online and I didn't take any shots.

I went with friends from Dubai, and we got there around 8.30 pm to pick up the tickets from the box office; they were purchased online. That was not a pleasant experience, since the box office was surprisingly unorganized. One of our gang suffered in line, while we passed away the time watching the crowd coming in and I admired Dubai Media City wishing I had a corner office in the MBC building.

We finally went in while lame-ass opening act Darine was doing her Arabic hip-hop shtick. Man did she suck! We staked our spots on the grass lawn which reminded me of summer concerts in the States. Our view was alright, but could've been better.

Around 10pm, Destiny's Child came on stage with "Say My Name", and the crowd went wild. Beyonce, Kelly and Whatshername looked HOT and sounded great. They then went into "Independent Women" which I never liked much before but it sounded great and unusually funky that night. Their band was pretty tight, although they depended a lot on programmed beats identical to the recorded studio versions.. which is how it should be for R&B performances in my opinion. I was a bit disappointed when after that they ripped through some of their older hits in a "medley" format like they do on televised award shows. It was a crime not to do "Bootylicious" in its entirety!! But I guess all of that was a buildup to the real purpose of the concert which was to showcase their latest album "Destiny Fulfilled" which became evident as the night went on (doesn't that title sounds like "we're done here"?).

Kelly came on mid-way to the show to perform the Nelly duet "Dilemma" which drove us nuts in 2003. Michelle (a.k.a. Whatshername) followed with an excruciatingly long and boring gospel ballad which should've been my cue to run to the men's room if I'd known where it was. And then Beyonce came on in a skimpy sexy white skirt and top to perform her solo hits "Baby Boy" and "Naughty Girl" and she simply ROCKED!

It must be said that the real star of the show was the amazing Beyonce. Yes, you've seen and heard her on TV and radio countless times but nothing prepares you for the sheer force of her awesome talent while she's up on stage right in front of you. The other two girls paled in comparison to her to the point where she reminded me of this legendary perfomer in her prime. When, after a few more songs with the girls, she launched into "Crazy In Love", the crowd - including yours truly - just went totally berserk!!

The audience came in all ages, nationalities shapes and sizes possible. I heard the Kuwaiti delegation alone was up to 2,000 strong although I didn't see that many of them at the show itself. Maybe because I was down on the lawn and not in the VIP seats where they were no doubt being their usual stiff no-fun selves, confusing this amazing concert with the monumentally humorless Hala February!

The flights to Dubai and back were like school buses, they were so packed with groups who all knew each other, including a few bloggers (waiting for your reviews too!). All said, it was a fun weekend in an increasingly fun city... sigh!

14 comments:

  1. OK, how come we do not get pictures of you sitting on the grass?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cameras were not allowed

    ReplyDelete
  3. that would have been nice to see, hmm wonder if some web site has pictures from the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7imdilla 3al Salama :) Glad you had fun, and thanks for the great review! Very articulate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always good to have you back :) Please tell me Darine was booed offstage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funky Cool Medina:
    yes he was wearing the grey polo shirt...i loved the whole trip...
    حسيت بالزحمه...و اللويه بس كان قراري أني ما راح أخلي شئ يعسرني..أستمتعت و على فكره كنت على
    VIP
    بس استانسنا وايد و كان عنصر الشربكه فعّال جدا..ومن سوء حظك أنك ما شفتني

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a regular grey t-shirt, not a polo shirt

    Btw, I forgot to mention the long line of people that stretched all around the lake (yes folks there's a lake!).. What was that all about?

    FCM.. at least they didn't have a
    قسم شباب وقسم عائلات

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes FCM all those goodies were there... but I didnt mention them because why نقلب المواجع?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheba:
    welcome back...we had fun ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. nano,

    Thank you & you too babe. But i was in Kuwait the night of the concert for my cousin's wedding. And reading this review filled me in what i missed :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whats the Big Deal!

    Its only a Destiny's Child Concert.

    شدعوهة أم كلثوم

    ReplyDelete
  12. shizzle... It's a big deal for us music starved Kuwaitis

    You think if I lived in London or New York I would care if Destiny's Child were in town?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hala Z, Beyonce did rock I must admit, but it was so so so unorganized it took the f outta fun...

    all in all I"m glad I went since I was back home, at least now I can say I watched Destiny's Child in my own back yard!!!:D

    cheers, and glad u enjoyed Dxb:)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!