Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Mass Exodus

It seems like everybody and their brother is heading down to Dubai this weekend for the Destiny's Child concert Thursday night, and from what I gather from my friends in Dubai the majority of the tickets have been sold to people from Kuwait. The airlines are booked solid, and all the major hotels have been sold out.

Which begs the question... if there's such a huge Kuwaiti demand to see Destiny's Child in concert, why couldn't they come here and perform? WAIT! DON'T ANSWER THAT!!

When big international performing acts embark on a world tour, it's standard operating procedure for them to go to major cities and bypass less significant ones. Which could mean that Kuwait just ain't significant enough for Beyonce and the gals..... Of course, that's what I like to fool myself into thinking, when the harsh reality is that any promoter bold enough to suggest bringing them here would be laughed out town!!

  • Imagine the cries of indignation and protest coming from Kaifan!
  • Imagine going to see Destiny's Child under strict observance of the 13 ضوابط.
  • Imagine Beyonce being ordered to cover up her sexy legs!
  • Imagine not being able to move or dance to the funky beats!
  • Where the hell would they perform? The friggin' ice-skating rink? You gotta be kidding me!

For the record, I decided that it's not every day that we get a major performing act passing by this part of the world, so I'm heading down to Dubai with everyone else this weekend to watch Beyonce shake her groove thang... especially since I'm still kicking myself for not going to see Alicia Keys last year. And I'm staying with friends so I won't be ripped off at the hotels!

I'm not a fan of the group at all, and I don't own any of their records (except Beyonce's solo album), but it could be fun... I'll be happy just to hear "Say My Name" and "Bootylicious" and call it a night, but I do hope that Beyonce sings some of her funky solo stuff like "Crazy in Love" or "Work it Out" from the Austin Powers movie.

So... no blogging till I get back, and I promise a full concert review like the one I wrote last summer.

22 comments:

  1. Bu Zee:
    My hubby said: he depends on u to take care of me similar to all other weekends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nano

    كل شي بحسابه

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun, kids
    تروحون وتردون بالسلامة

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey right my name on her Groove thang :P 3ashan...im a big fan of the group ...so yeah plz plz plz right my name on hers 3ashan aroo7 her next concert:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha and my father was wondering why he couldn't find a ticket to attend a company meeting in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am stuffed so I cannot be my usual self, damn it!

    have fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zaydoun, im sure the day will come when a Kuwaiti family decides that Nancy and Sh3ail r not enough for their wedding so they will turn to some bigger publicity stunt (yes, publicity stunt) and bring some foreign singer or group, sa7??

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kid brother already left for Dubai with his friends, yesterday. I'm not allowed to go cuz I'm "immature". Is that fair? lol anyways have fun for Zaydoun for the people that can and can't go :P If anything happened tara it's min 3ayny la just kidding :P Troo7oon o tirji3oon bisalama! Take care of you, yeah? Laters!

    Q - Yup, just wait 'till I get married. Shar6 bayeeb all of them (Eminem, Sean Paul, Beyonce, etc... + fa6ooma (to sing hab ill sa3ad) :P Oqay take qare, bye :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Q- ee walla imagin a kuwaiti wedding with guani estefan or J-Lo kuwaiti lover)
    or 50cent ooooh or will smith !!



    naaah i dont this day will ever come they are tooooo expensive kuwaitis willl start to sell their houses and things to bring these to kuwait and yet not enough.

    bs wallah wanasa allaaaah

    ReplyDelete
  10. have a safe trip and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a safe trip big Z, and lots of fun for all of us who can?t attend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zaydoun, r u coming to Dubai ? if so, email me , it will be nice to meet u. if u don't mind !

    ReplyDelete
  13. What I meant was have fun Zaydoun, not have fun for Zaydoun. *grins sheepishly*

    added on as an afterthought - everyone else who happens to be going have fun and stay safe as well :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Desintys Child not coming to Kuwait....

    You guys really aren't missing much. While it's cool that major acts are coming into the middle east you're still missing out on some really good music.

    When Common, N.E.R.D, Aimee Mann or Scissor Sisters come to dubai, THEN you're missing some good music.

    Destinys Child could perform in any shithole in the middle of nowhere and still make enough....

    ReplyDelete
  15. yalaaa yaa7elwean etroo7oan oo etrdoan belsalaamaaa shkelhaa wanasaaa 7asafaa 6afatnaa walaa yalaa next time ma3akom

    Drunk'n'Gorgeous ee walaa anaa bayeabhoom b3d fee 3ersee ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Al-Rayyes... If Aimee Mann comes anywhere near the Middle East, it'll be a miracle. I am a huge fan but sadly she is not the type of act who would sell well here. The Middle East seems to attract either big mega-stars or washed up has-beens.. rarely anyone on the cutting edge.

    It was a fun show though, the full review tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  17. FCM

    You sure it was me? I wasn't in a hurry at all, and I did have a tan since I came straight from the beach..

    Beer belly? Not exactly ;-)

    Next time come and say hi!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. FCM:
    non of your business :p

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Zaydoun I Like Your Blog and Its so Famous
    I'am "Jombaze"الديايه
    Her In Kuwait we have "Rekaz,Nafaes,Makarem" I Enjoy them Alot ;)
    I know they are not Disco Bands.
    But I Hope I See a Kuwaiti Disco Band!

    Good Luck..

    Mr. JOMBAZE? Blog: http://jombaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey, good concert great time. I wish they were allowed to come here.

    My review is on now, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jombaze.. welcome to blogland!

    1814.. where's the review? Its not on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!