Thursday, June 09, 2005

Playlist June 9-15

The big album of Summer 2005 is out!
  1. Coldplay - X&Y: Not one bad song on the whole album. I'm in love with it already!
  2. Royksopp - Only This Moment: Lush, electronic Nordic summer pop.
  3. Oasis - Part Of The Queue: The only track I really liked from their new album. Why is it that whenever they put out a new release, I long for the amazing "What's The Story, Morning Glory?"
  4. Ray La Montagne - Trouble: I didn't think singers like this newcomer existed anymore.
  5. Jamiroquai - Feels Just Like It Should: Jay Kay moving on from his usual (and now tired) Stevie Wonder impressions to Sly Stone. Not bad at all.

This week's classic pick is Straight On by Heart. This track is from the late 70's when they were still a tight little hard rock band, before they turned into the big-haired screamers of the 1980's.

And if ever you've walked into a music store and had your head spin by the amount of "chill out" compilations, all of which sound and look the same.. you have to read this article.

Finally, get a load of Paul Anka (yes, him!!) and his new album of swing-band versions of 80's and 90's rock hits. His take on Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is priceless!

8 comments:

  1. My favorite chill out CD is Mezzanine de L'Alcazar, disc 1. Perfect dinner party music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God. I just clicked that Paul Anka link and couldn't stop laughing! My cousin and I do this all the time: take rock/pop/rap songs and then "Frank Sinatrasize" or "Harry Conickize" them. We have a weird sense of humor... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listened to some of that Paul Anka--Hilarious!!

    Have you heard of this Texan rapper called Kuwait? I was searching for something else and found his website: http://www.geocities.com/isis_elijahrecords/kuwait.html. I haven't heard any of his stuff, but found it funny that he would call himself Kuwait. Anyway, thought you would be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry but IMHO the new Coldplay sounds like the same old same old.Nothing original,BLECH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coldplay X&Y is a good album but it's a bit disappointing in that it's more of the same. And this time it gets to sound a bit monotonous when you listen to the whole album in one go. There are no highs like Politik or Clocks in the last album. Too bad they decided to play it safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But I liked his Stevie Wonder days way better.

    I'm listening to Coldplay's "Fix You".. Zaydoun, merci beaucoup :*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah its same old, same old.. but I still like it. I think they just want to secure "world domination" by playing it safe with their 3rd album, and maybe later on they'll take more risks...

    Btw, I hear Virgin at Marina still hasn't received its Coldplay X&Y shipment, whereas Dubai had a friggin' pre-release party last Sunday. Delayed at customs??

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, people!