Saturday, July 10, 2004

Playlist July 10-16

I can't get enough of Mylo's Destroy Rock & Roll which I recommended last week.. I mistakenly called it a chill-out album, but in fact it's a highly original stomping dance record. The two standout tracks are "In my arms", which cross-samples 80's bubblegum hit "Waiting for a Star to Fall" with the opening keyboards of "Bette Davis Eyes", and "Need You Tonite" which samples the long-forgotten 1979 hit "Stay with me till dawn" by Judie Tzuke, and prompted me to track down the original to download it.

Other stuff in my car this week:
1. Sweetback - Stage 2: Sade's backing band keeping themselves busy in between their leader's albums. This is their second release and it's a very accomplished collection, with alternating lead vocals by Chocolate Genius and Aya (no idea who they are). The best tracks are all Aya's, especially "Lover", the most beautiful song you'll hear this summer and "Things You'll Never Know" a breezy pop confection!
2. Bebel Gilberto: Smooth, gorgeous Brazilian bossa nova.. Perfect for lazy summer afternoons (it works with air-conditioning too if it gets unbearably hot).
3. Angie Stone - Stone Love: Angie can do no wrong, as far as I'm concerned. Nuff said!

And of course, Keane will remain lodged in my CD player until I get sick of them, which doesn't seem likely. They're perfect for singing along to while dashing down the highway, or in my case belting out the choruses in the privacy of my car with my godawful voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, people!